TelAlaska is an approved participant in the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) program through our affiliates, Interior and Mukluk Telephone. The EBB Program is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program that provides a temporary discount on monthly broadband bills for qualifying low-income households. If you reside in a TelAlaska serving area, your household is on Tribal lands and you could be eligible to receive up to a $75/month discount on your internet service. Only one monthly service discount is allowed per household.
A household is eligible if one member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Qualifies for the Lifeline program;
- Receives benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, or did so in the 2019-2020 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income since February 29, 2020; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating providers’ existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
The EBB Program is a temporary emergency federal government benefit program operated by the FCC and it will end when the fund runs out of money, or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the COVID-19 health emergency, whichever is sooner. Upon its conclusion, customers will be subject to TelAlaska’s regular rates, terms, and conditions.
The FCC opened enrollment for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program on Wednesday, May 12, 2021.
To apply, please follow the steps below. If you are currently enrolled in the Lifeline program, you do not have to verify your eligibility again; please skip to #3.
- Visit getemergencybroadband.org/how-to-apply. Complete the online application with the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) or print an application and mail it to the Emergency Broadband Support Center at the address listed. *Important note for TelAlaska customers: on the application, please be sure to check the box for Tribal Lands in order to receive the maximum benefit for Alaska internet customers.
- After you submit an application, USAC will share the results with you. If you apply online, you may receive an immediate approval. If USAC cannot prove your eligibility automatically, they will request additional documentation from you and provide information on how you can submit those documents for review.
- Once USAC approves your application, please contact TelAlaska at 1-800-478-3127 to complete your enrollment. Before we can apply the discount to an account, TelAlaska will require applicants to fill out an Emergency Broadband Benefit Form, which can be completed here, or we can send a paper copy.
Additional information on the EBB Program can be found at www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit.
TelAlaska Customer Service