Notice to TelAlaska internet customers: The fall solar outages that may impact your internet service have begun. A solar outage occurs when the sun gets in direct line with the satellite and the dish on the ground, causing an override of the signal. Watch the video below to learn more!
TelAlaska has two satellite networks running different frequencies so the dates and lengths of the outages differ by community.
Unalaska, King Cove, Cold Bay, Sand Point, Iliamna, Galena, Fort Yukon, Port Lions, Teller, Brevig Mission, Wales, Little Diomede and Shishmaref
– The solar outages will continue through October 18.
– The outages are expected to occur twice for each location, ranging from one to 16 minutes depending on the day and geographical location of the site.
– They will begin at approximately 10:40am and end at approximately 11:15am.
Elim, Golovin, Koyuk, St. Michael, Shaktoolik, Stebbins, White Mountain
– The solar outages will continue through October 15.
– The outages will occur between 11:10am and 11:35am and will last from one to 14 minutes.