Notice to customers regarding solar outages that may impact your internet service:
A solar outage occurs when the sun gets in direct line with the satellite and the dish on the ground, causing an override of the signal. Below is a schedule of expected solar outages in February and March. TelAlaska has two satellite networks running different frequencies so the dates and lengths of the outages differ by community.
Unalaska, King Cove, Cold Bay, Sand Point, Iliamna, Galena, Nome, Fort Yukon
– The solar outages begin February 24 and continue through March 10. They will start in Fort Yukon since it is the furthest east.
– The outages are expected to occur twice for each location, ranging from 1 to 16 minutes depending on the day and geographical location of the site.
– They will begin at approximately 10:40am and end at approximately 11:15am.
Elim, Golovin, Koyuk, Port Lions, St. Michael, Shaktoolik, Shishmaref, Stebbins, Teller, Brevig Mission, Wales, Little Diomede, White Mountain
– The solar outages will begin on February 26 and continue through March 5.
– The outages will occur between 11:10am and 11:30am and will last from 2 to 6 minutes.